Affiliated to the University of Calcutta, South Calcutta Girls’ College was established in 1932 at the initiative of the Beltala Girls’ Education Society, which was chaired by the great freedom fighter Deshbandhu Chittaranjan Das. It is the earliest women’s institution of higher education in South Calcutta and one of the oldest in the State of West Bengal. It had a modest beginning as a morning college functioning within the premises of the Beltala Girls’ School, located on Beltala Road. Eminent lawyers, educationist and philanthropist, Shri Peary Mohan Chatterjee as Secretary of the Managing Committee was keenly involved in the day to day functioning of the College.
The institution obtained a new lease of life when the college and hostel were relocated to a rented building at 72 Sarat Bose Road, Kolkata- 700 025, on 1st July 1946. After several years of perseverance, in 1987, the mentioned premises were acquired by the College authority. The College then successfully embarked on an expansion programme as several new departments were added. To day it offers 13 courses of study in the Honours level and 16 in the General stream.
South Calcutta Girls’ college has played a seminal role in the enhancement of higher education of young women. It aims at imparting a holistic learning and wider access to quality education for girls of all strata.
Address: 72, Sarat Bose Road
Kolkata – 700 025
Ph. 2475 3785
B.A – Bengali(G+H), English(G+H), Sanskrit(G), History(G+H), Philosophy(G+H), Pol. Science(G+H), Economics(G+H), Geography(G+H), Education(G+H), Music(G), Journalism & Mass Communication (G+H), Psychology (G), Sociology (G)
B.Sc – Mathematics(G), Physiology(G), Zoology(G+H), Botany(G+H)
B.Com – (G)